Monday, March 09, 2009

I just accepted a job at Weta Digital in New Zealand, and assuming all the visa-getting rigamarole goes as planned, Julie and I will be heading there in about 6 weeks. I will be a "CG Software Engineer" -- it is spelled out in the contract that that will be the exact text of any screen credit I might receive. So in the next couple of years, if you see a movie where Weta was an vfx vendor, and you stay until the bitter end of the closing credits, after the Key Grip and the Best Boy and the Caterer and the Parrot Wrangler, you may see my name up on the big screen, in 7 point type. Which will be as satisfying to me as a director's credit.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kert said...

Holy crap! Congratulations!! I'm sorry we couldn't sway you at Frantic a few years ago, but I'm happy that you're going to be in the film world in some way :)

I visited New Zealand this past summer, and I know you'll love it. It's a beautiful country.

Congrats on the awesome new job!!

10:25 AM  
Blogger Ahmed said...

Congratulations, sir!

Have been a distant admirer of your blog for a while. This bit of news has flushed me out of hiding.

1:55 PM  
Blogger The Method Artist said...

Hey Kert, thanks man! Yeah, I'm pretty pumped about going to Weta -- I feel like I've been called up to the majors ;-)

Awesome that you were in NZ -- it sometimes seems like I'm the only person I know who hasn't been. It's certainly one gorgeous country -- we're looking forward to some nice weekend trips.

BTW, how're things with the new venture?

Thanks for sharing, Ahmed! By all means, do speak up -- as a fellow blogger, you must know how nice it is to hear from readers.

2:53 PM  
Blogger margaret atkinson said...

congrats! i'm so proud of you!!!

7:57 PM  
Anonymous Wreford said...

Oh, so THAT's why you're off to NZ! I hope the move is going smoothly, I'm sure you'll like it there, and what a great gig! I'll be reading credits even more now.

May the wind be at your back, and you never lose your keys!

12:54 AM  
Blogger Kert Gartner said...

Hey Kevin,

Is this the part of weta you're involved with?

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118003300.html?categoryId=1009&cs=1

9:09 AM  
Blogger The Method Artist said...

Hey Kert,

I hope so! Lotta brainiacs in that bunch. But I still don't know what I'm going to be working on. Julie and I are still waiting for our visas, so it will still be a couple weeks until I'm there.

Hi Wreford! You guys should come visit when we're out there!

4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home