Wednesday, November 12, 2008



Drawing pictures with diffusion-limited aggregation from Kevin Atkinson on Vimeo.

I've wanted to try this idea for a while, so here's a quick-and-dirty version. I'd like to revisit it and do it properly sometime.

The idea is: make a picture using diffusion-limited aggregation. The code and technique I used is the cheesiest of quick hacks, but the results are really encouraging.

The pictures are nice, but most of the fun is watching them develop. So here are some movies of the process, each with slightly different settings:

First movie.
Second movie.
Third movie.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Tom Hulton-Harrop said...

That is incredible dude. On my course we have just been doing about procedural graphics, looking at the Mandelbrot set and Julia sets and so on. I have no idea how you managed to create that face! Top props for that! :D Awesome!

3:07 AM  
Blogger The Method Artist said...

Hey, thanks, Tom. Yeah, I'm all about this kind of procedural trickery, always trying to dream up new techniques.

10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home