Saturday, September 06, 2008



I never imagined that I would have a reason to post a picture of Mary-Kate Olsen on my blog, but life is funny that way.

I've been knocking myself out for the past six weeks writing some live video effects for a Sept 4 New York fashion week party sponsored by Dazed and Confused magazine and Mini Cooper. Hipster heroes MGMT played. Joel Gethin Lewis scored us the gig and played VJ for the night. The bugger of it was that I wasn't able to go, so I've been poking around the net looking for some pics of the effects in action, but almost all of the photos from the night are red carpet shots of the various models and starlets who were in attendance.

There's a write-up on the Mini Cooper site which mentions the video effects: MINI Rooftop Party.

And I did find a video which shows the briefest of glimpses of the software in action -- check out this link at 0:10 and 0:33:

Fashion week party video.


The final push to get the software ready was pretty brutal -- a succession of 16 to 20 hour days of coding and debugging. It only crashed once, which, considering it was essentially alpha software, is not bad at all. Joel tells me that people had great fun playing with the effects.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kert said...

Hey Kevin, I took a look at the video you linked to, but I couldn't tell where your stuff is. Can you post your own video of the effect, or is it covered by an NDA or something? I'm really curious :)

Thanks!

8:20 PM  
Blogger The Method Artist said...

Hey Kert! Yeah, you can barely see the effects in the video -- they flash past in less than a second, and it's impossible to tell what is going on.

Most of the software I wrote for the event was making the existing effects jammable live, so the only new ones were the whirly tiles one that I posted a couple stills from and one based on the Droste effect (it's a real-time version of the effect that One in Three used in their latest video: http://www.vimeo.com/1654232)

I'll be posted videos of them in the next couple weeks.

How're things at Frantic? I'm going to be renting all the summer movies I missed while I was working too hard, and I plan to check out Journey....

10:47 PM  
Blogger Kert said...

That looks very cool. I'm currious to see how your implementation of that works. :)

Things are moving along at Frantic :) The next few months are going to be pretty insane with a few large projects colliding over the winter. I've actually put in my notice, and i'm not going to be with them for much longer. :)

I'm looking for a change of pace, and am joining a small new media company in Winnipeg. It should be really interesting and i'm looking forward to some new challenges :)

5:44 PM  
Blogger The Method Artist said...

Congratulations on the big step, Kert! What's the company, if I am allowed to ask?

I think I've finally said farewell to the movie biz -- I was all set to move to California for a job at Digital Domain, and then the opportunity came up to do this stuff for a living, and I decided to go with it. The next few months will tell whether it was the right decision. Working in the movies is sure cool, but there's nothing like doing your own thing.

10:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home