Wednesday, November 01, 2006


When implementing some of these image representation ideas, sometimes they turn out exactly as I expected, sometimes better, and some are complete duds. The above pic was an example where I got something that I expected would look cool, but I didn't expect it that it would look like... coiled viscera, or brains or something. It's not entirely successful in that it's pretty hard to make out what it is representing (it's the Mona Lisa). Needs some tweaking to convey contrast better. Also, the intestine-y look invites a nice, gooey, glistening rendering style. So it's time to break out the Renderman.

Renderman, of course, is the 3d rendering technology created by Pixar. I can't affort the 12 grand or whatever for their flagship renderer, but thankfully there is a superb knockoff called 3Delight that's quite nice indeed, and the first license is free. There are also a couple quite passable open source Renderman-compliant renderers out there, notably Aqsis, which I have used quite a bit.

Renderman is a 3d renderer, but there's nothing to prevent it from being used to make 2d images. And the Method Artist just loves the procedural shader model. So watch this space for some 2.5D procedural madness.

P.S. If you liked this, you might also like this!

5 Comments:

Blogger johannes said...

Hi. Just wanted to say I really enjoy your algorithmic artwork! I have this one in my office and people love it.

Also, I think would be a good idea to brush up a tiny bit on your page. And I do mean tiny - like removing those "Edit-Me" links, and making sure videos/images are contained in their column.

2:25 PM  
Blogger The Method Artist said...

Thanks, Johannes! This is one of my favourites, too.

And yes, housekeeping has never been my forte. On top of that, I was in a terrific rush to get this page up. But point taken -- I'll do a bit of tidying.

2:55 PM  
Blogger The Lone Beader said...

Wow. How do you do it??? Very interesting.... :)

3:14 PM  
Blogger The Method Artist said...

It's very simple: Use a weighted centroidal voronoi tesselation to stipple the image, then use the Lin-Kernighan TSP heuristic to join the points, then find the medial axes of the resulting polygons using sobel filters on the distance transform of the polygons. Piece of cake ;-)

8:54 PM  
OpenID PENIX said...

Mona Lisa, or maybe Fester.

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home